Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dear Lemony Snicket,

I'm sorry to tell you this blog post you are reading will be very unlike the work you've produced.
It will tell the tale of a young girl who became very fortunate through reading about the lives of the very unfortunate Baudelaire orphans.
As the Baudelaire children encountered numerous villains and schemes,
I discovered novel vocabulary and a deep passion for reading. 
As the children's despair progressed throughout the series, 
so did my ardor for literature.
In this short post alone, 
you may encounter mass amounts of admiration and gratitude,
accounts of prepubescent stubbornness,
an inspiring gym teacher, 
and a sincere love for your work.
It is my duty to express the impact you've had on my life,
but there is nothing prohibiting you from closing this window and reading something darker,
as you are more accustomed to reading that kind of thing.
---------------------------------------------------
When I was in elementary school,
I hated reading.
I associated it with school and work.
I was completely ignorant of the power it possessed.

In the fifth grade,
I was unaware that mere words could completely transport you,
they could take you far away
 from work and stress,
the burdens that weigh heavy on your heart and mind,
fighting families,
sickness,
heartbreak,
loneliness,
and even death.

The black print on those crisp uneven cream pages,
when consumed had the ability to remove me,
if only for a little,
from the worries of my little mind.

Apathy and intransigence characterized my academic scope at this age.
Clearly there were other things that took priority,
such as that cute boy who sat just two seats away,
and where the popular girls bought their jeans.
Socially,
I was craving acceptance.

My fifth grade teacher was named Mr. Morris.
He also taught gym and connected with his students in a way that most teachers are incapable of.
We respected him,
were enthralled by him,
and loved him dearly.
It was his mission to teach us the importance of developing a love for reading.
While Mr. Morris was the catalyst for change,
you,
Mr. Snicket,
Inspired the change itself.

I fell in love with your pros from the first page.
Reading your work evoked passion in me for the very first time.

I connected with the dark humor you incorporated,
and the undeniably captivating intelligence and wit.
The continued sense of mystery and intrigue.
I devoured the words as if they were essential to my very existence.
And at that point in my life,
they were.

The tales of the Baudelaire orphans completely defied the norm for children's literature.
You transformed an entire generation of children into readers.
Not only did you convert apathetic and complacent students into avid readers,
but you also taught them, inspired them and challenged them.
It was through reading your work,
I was first inspired to write.

You showed me where the world was quiet,
where I could grow,
and question.
Where curiosity and intrigue could be translated into winding words
 that dance and sway on emotions edge.
Mr. Snicket,
Through A Series of Unfortunate Events,
you gave me a priceless gift that I will forever carry with me.

Even years after reading these books,
I am still completely overwhelmed with gratitude and admiration.
Thank you so much Mr. Snicket for your contribution.
I am just one of many people whose lives you have touched and transformed.
You have inspired me to pursue a career where I can use your work to touch other students.
I hope to reference you often as a teacher one day,
and to possibly even transform students into readers through it.

Thank you again so much Mr. Snicket.

With all my love, Meg


“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough. and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

― Lemony Snicket






2 comments:

  1. beautiful as always Meg, you are such a writer! love it. keep it up, I can see how this is already giving you freedom! jealous of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I admire your writing so much, this is such high praise coming from you!

      Delete