Monday, December 9, 2013

Dear Soul Sister,

When I read your letters, 
My heart feels so close to yours.
The strength you've found in words surpasses that of anyone I've ever met.  
Your passion is so present it's practically tangible. 

Your passion breathes life into fury, 
into incredulity, 
into restlessness, 
discomfort, 
and maybe even one day, 
change.

People so often want to turn away or ignore the things they find uncomfortable, 
or are "too big" for them to fix or handle. 

They want to silence the screams heard by the Red Light District girls by getting far enough away so they can't hear them,
rather than quieting their ever pounding hearts with something that will show them someone cares for them. 
Can we help them?
Even if it seems like there is nothing we are capable of that would make a consequential impact, 

I sure am glad that's not how God looks at us.
I'm glad He doesn't look at the muck and the mire of our sin and say
"Well, they're never going to be worthy of me, 
 they'll always be overcome by their own selfishness.
What difference will loving them make?" 
Loving them,
Just loving them. 

You've written letters to the perfect summer girls on the beach, 
With sun-drenched smiles masking insecurity.
Society would recoil from the suggestion for girls to "let their bellies out"
They would never tell us that exhaling and finding comfort in the way that we are
would not result in everyone running away in fear or drenching us in judgement.
They would never reveal that someone gave their last breath for every girl to have the chance to celebrate their imperfections and rejoice over their bodies because they are temples of the Most High God. 

You've shared the stories of Soraya M, the Sweet Stranger, A Baby Girl of Kensington, and Trucker Mouth Mama, 
making me cold down to the inside of my bones.
Their stories are gut wrenching.
My heart broke over and over again with every line. 
Your words resonate so long after reading them. 
I find myself thinking of these women you've introduced me to throughout the day, 
praying for them, 
wishing I could pour God's love out to them the way you have. 

You've reprimanded words themselves for not understanding the expectations they set, 
and spoken deep into my soul about the power of seeking control.
But what I feel is the most powerful letter you've yet to write was to the arrested pimps and rescued children. 

Soul Sister, 
It is a gift to have the ability to make the audience feel what others feel, 
that's what a true artist does, 
they convey emotion.
Raw emotion.
That grates and scrapes the inside of their guts, 
that rubs their throats raw as they consume the words you've written, 
that brings anguish and grief with the closing lines, 
making the audience, 
in that moment feel even the slightest fraction of what those children felt, 
what their parents felt...

Your gift is going to evoke change. 
Passion is what sparks movement.
Progressive movement that impacts, 
relentlessly, 
until a difference is made. 

You are filled with this jarring honesty. 
"There's no lie in her fire" 
Your fearlessness…
I wish I had the strength to write to that torn curtain of the temple, 
or to the lioness.
If I could muster even a fraction of your strength, 
maybe I, 
like you,
 could be used to pour God's love out to the broken hearted. 

If only I was strong enough to write out my heart to the Father's Son,
If I had the courage to tell him how I cried for hours after reading your letter to him, 
If I could find the intrepidity to tell stories like his the way you have…

I truly believe you are my Soul Sister.
Your voice is so much stronger, 
and your beautifully raw words are inflamed with an unquenchable passion that moved under my skin and spreads like wildfire catching every single nerve and setting them ablaze. 
But your heart beats with the breaking of mine. 
Your words speak directly into the furthest corners, 
seeking out and illuminating everything I attempt to repress. 
Challenging me, 
Encouraging me, 
Calling me to act. 

Thank you so much for sharing the stories you've encountered.
Thank you for your bravery, 
and for your passion. 

Your words hold the power to set the world on fire. 

With all my love, Meg 


P.S. Please Please PLEASE do not deprive yourself of the opportunity to read these incredible letters! 
Check out Sincerely, Your Soul Sister at 

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh Meg i'm in tears! I am so glad you are learning things from my blog! I write to release but God uses it for so many other people. You did an amazing job this semester, and your blog is phenomenal. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete